Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Winning Winsdays 5

a r t i c l e s
The Slow Route by Dakota Jones
Dakota speaks of taking the real way from point A to point B, of relishing and living in the journey, rather than hurrying it by plane. It's a nice, thoughtful piece by a young mountain-ultra-trail-runner who happens to be incredibly fast.


l i n k s
screenshot example of Somewhere
Somewhere is a cool little site that simple takes you to different places around the world by clicking its Somewhere button, and shows you a beautiful Instagram picture of the location, plus a description from wikipedia. Created by Benjamin Netter, it's a pretty fun little site to explore. Wouldn't it be cool to know how to code this kind of app or site? I'd love to know how to do that. (saw this on techcrunch via Statigram's twitter)


i d e a s
Christine is someone I don't know at all, but she runs in Boulder and I started following her on Strava because what she does amazes me and we seem to run about the same pace, which is cool to me. She runs every single day and is building up for some ultras. To me it's quite impressive. And today (Jan 25), apparently, was her birthday, and she did a really cool birthday run for herself that I think would be fun to emulate some day. Specifically, some February 25. Except, dang it, now I'm realizing I can never do exactly the same because I've already passed my 25th, duh... Nevertheless, it'd be fun to do 27 miles for my 27th, and so on, until I'm 100. Then I suppose I could quit.




p h o t o g r a p h y
Came across this photographer today, actually (via Hannah), and was intrigued by the photos. Her name is Elizabeth Gadd and she takes really lovely, peaceful shots generally with a single person somewhere in the frame that lends it extra emotion. I like them. She's also on flickr.

by Elizabeth Gadd


v i d e o s
"The Waters of Greenstone" (via thephoblographer) is a lovely landscape video by Nathan Kaso of Melbourne. It's a beautiful mix of video, time lapse, and audio. A good example of the soundtrack being well placed and the editing done well. I like it a lot.


- - - - -

Rarely has an 11-minute video gone by so quickly. I was mesmerized. Adam Magyar apparently built his own camera, which takes slo-mo video (?) in a panoramic way that he then puts together into an incredible clip. It's like watching people trying to pose, but not. It's fascinating. Especially if someone's moving an arm, or blinking, or picking their nose. Sixty seconds is enough to watch if time is short; the rest is the same, but it's worth it. (via photojojo)


Adam Magyar, Stainless - Shinjuku from Adam Magyar on Vimeo.
- - - - -

Oh Internet Explorer, you slay me. I'm reposting this because of the chili bowl. The 90s. (seen on helloyoucreatives)

2 comments:

  1. I love chilli bowl hair cuts! I'm always trying to convince my guy friends to get one :) The 90's video was great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep trying! I try to convince my girl friends to buzz their hair! Is that the same? :) (Do iiiiitttttttttt!!!)

      Delete