Thursday, March 20, 2014

Winning Winsdays 8

a r t i c l e s
Dakota Jones writes well. And he was just in Argentina and Chile for a while to race the Cuatro Refugios race, which sounds grueling. His report, I think, is well done. I think I like this guy. (Seen on his tweet about it.)

Spectacular though the view may be, my home lay far below. And, more superficially, I had a race to finish. So I ran down, down down again, all the way to the lakeside and the finish line and my friends. But my heart stayed up high. And it's still there now, moving quietly among the high rocks above Bariloche, just as it's also still on the high slopes of Mont Blanc and the crest of the Mooses Tooth in Alaska.


t v   s h o w s
Brooklyn Nine-Nine has been thoroughly entertaining the past few days. Twenty-minute episodes, produced (and starred in) by Andy Samberg, and ridiculous children-in-adult-bodies make for stories I can handle.


v i d e o s
English spelling is silly, many people agree, but this TED-Ed video by Gina Cook showed me that the silliness often (if it said how often, I missed it) comes from very practical foundations. I appreciate that. (Saw it on thekidsshouldseethis.)



- - -
I like these drones.


(saw it on helloyoucreatives)


m u s i c
Spotify introduced me to Messages to Bears a few days ago and I've been digging it* during the past few rainy, grey days we've been having here in TN. If you want some melancholy background music, this is a good option. (*"It" happens to be one Englishman: Jerome Alexander.)




m i s c e l l a n e o u s
This photo and caption came across my feed on Instagram today and I admired it a lot because it's a mom and her kids and they were all (especially the kids) getting into reading and learning today, and I think not only is that awesome but it's awesome that the mother is cultivating that and posting about it.


Our school day began with my dropping a pile of long lost books on the kitchen table. I was just organizing them. Their natural curiosity drew them in and before long the two youngest were making cloud viewers and drawing and labeling the different types of clouds, the older helping the younger. This one picked up a picture book of great American women and after reading about Dolly Madison started asking questions about the War of 1812. I said, 'do we have a book about that?' She found it and has since been completely absorbed in American history. I know she is learning because she is finding answers to her own questions and she is practically vibrating with inspiration. I am learning as well. Because every few minutes she says 'Mom, listen to this...' Or 'Did you know...?' We have had discussions about politics and what it means to be a true leader and I'm just organizing books. Now she is studying the gospel and the other two are building a cardboard dollhouse. Heaven. #ilovehomeschool #turnoffthetv


No comments:

Post a Comment