Monday, February 3, 2014

Melancholy Mondays 6: My Achilles Heel

Seriously though, my achilles is a bit injured. Overused, I think. The biology trails have trashed it, apparently. They are rough trails! No jokes there. No jokes. They are serious.

It means I haven't run for several days. Some might think it's easier to practice self-discipline when it comes to not running, but for many folks it's the opposite. After years of running and achieving goals, when injury stops them they don't know what to do with themselves and go a little stir-crazy for having to pause. I wouldn't say it's so difficult for me to stop, but I have found myself thinking about where I want to go running today and then remembering that I shouldn't, yet. But I'm very much looking forward to getting out again. Maybe even tomorrow.

And I find it ironic that I am being punished, as it were, for doing a good thing too much. I never felt like I was overtraining, or going too fast, or doing too many hills. That's what I mean by a good thing. If I had tried a 300-mile run out of the blue, or gone barefoot for 25 miles, or something extreme like that, then I wouldn't be considering it a good thing right now. Maybe bold, but probably more, just, stupid. But I think what I've been doing the last few weeks has been good. And so, it kind of sucks to feel sidelined for doing what has felt right.

I think there's a lot of metaphor to pull from that, so I'll let it just leave it there. To each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment