Friday, June 17, 2011

Rainier then Tennessee

Yesterday at some point, I was thinking about running and I remembered about long runs.  So I decided that tomorrow would be my long run.  Which was today.  So this morning I got up and started my long run.  I went east today, in search of more air and greenery instead of the usual looping and re-looping of these dumb suburban neighborhood roads.

Turns out at one point along my selected route, the view and direction conveniently open up beautifully to a nice vista of Mt. Rainier.  I was just rounding a long, gradual corner, minding my own business when suddenly there was this shimmering, white, majestic unicorn mountain in the distance, kind of poking out over the trees.  That was a nice surprise.  It only lasted a couple minutes as I soon had to turn left and get swallowed up in the ridiculous amount of traffic there is at 6 a.m.

But I eventually got to my objective:  a street that, based on google map's view, looked a little more quiet and green.  It was immediately a most welcome little street.  I was running near Cohutta again, with a relatively narrow road, rolling hills (for the .3 miles I went), and the tantalizing odor of horse sh...adows.

Oh!  Now it's 7 o'clock.  Time to watch the Tour of Switzerland.

Here's a google map version of that view of Mt. Rainier after that long corner.  It's probably better than what I saw this morning.  Just kidding.  I could actually see the mountain loud and clear.

2 comments: